CHUD.com Community › Forums › SPECIFIC FILMS › The Franchises › The Best of BOND; Let's get this over with
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Best of BOND; Let's get this over with - Page 333

post #16601 of 16967
Knowing how young Connery was in his Bond films makes me feel very old..
post #16602 of 16967
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhp1608 View Post

I've always been curious, especially being as much a Fleming nut as a Bond film fan, why they went for Dr No as the first story, and didn't follow the chronology of the books. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belloq87 View Post


I think it was a combination of being set in an exotic location while also being a mostly low-key and pretty contained mystery.  There's not much globetrotting (once Bond is in Jamaica, he's there for the remainder), so for budgetary reasons, it makes sense why DR. NO would have been one of the contenders to adapt first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhp1608 View Post

I guess the lack of exotic locales would have scuppered Casino Royale, which could have easily ended up looking like a TV episode, they probably didn't want to touch Live and Let Die with a barge pole, and Moonraker again wasn't exotic. Diamonds is weird and FRWL would have been an odd starting point assuming they were thinking straight adaptations. Makes sense.


Just imagine if they had picked a different film, it would have resulted in a very different formula for Bond films from the start. The very reason we have a Q is because they picked DR. NO first, which is the only time Boothroyd appeared in the novels at the time.

I've always been curious of how a CASINO ROYALE by EON as the first Bond film with Sean Connery would have turned out, and how it would have shaped the rest of the series. Would they have actually gone through with the ending or change it with Bond relaxing with Vesper, like how all other Bond films end.

Then there's the rest of the novels going in book order and how all that would have shaped the film series as a whole. I don't know if MOONRAKER would've become the blockbuster that GOLDFINGER was.
post #16603 of 16967

I'm just gutted we didn't get an octopus fight and the villain buried under a pile of bird shit.

post #16604 of 16967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stockslivevan View Post

I've always been curious of how a CASINO ROYALE by EON as the first Bond film with Sean Connery would have turned out, and how it would have shaped the rest of the series. Would they have actually gone through with the ending or change it with Bond relaxing with Vesper, like how all other Bond films end.

 

A film version of CASINO ROYALE starring Connery and using Ben Hecht's script would have been awesome.

post #16605 of 16967

Did Broccoli not own the rights, then? The article I just skimmed about Casino Royale seemed to heavily imply that what became the 1966 film was always an "unoffical" production.

post #16606 of 16967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malmordo View Post

A film version of CASINO ROYALE starring Connery and using Ben Hecht's script would have been awesome.

Is there Hecht script that's a straight adaptation? I was always under the impression that he had only been involved in the parody. I read some sample of his script that had an agent being debriefed by M about the "death of James Bond", who informs him that he'll be accompanied by more 007s, followed by a sudden wave of 007s walking through the door. I've never seen the parody, but I understand that it's a major gimmick in the film attributed to Hecht's unused script.
post #16607 of 16967
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhp1608 View Post
 

Did Broccoli not own the rights, then? The article I just skimmed about Casino Royale seemed to heavily imply that what became the 1966 film was always an "unoffical" production.

 

Producer Charles Feldman had the rights. He tried to get the Hecht script produced in 1964 as a rival film to the EON series and even asked Broccoli and Saltzman to loan him Connery. When they refused, he offered to do a co-production but wanted too big a chunk of the profits for Broccoli and Saltzman to agree.

 

This is covered in Jeremy Duns's book Duns on Bond.

post #16608 of 16967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stockslivevan View Post


Is there Hecht script that's a straight adaptation? I was always under the impression that he had only been involved in the parody. I read some sample of his script that had an agent being debriefed by M about the "death of James Bond", who informs him that he'll be accompanied by more 007s, followed by a sudden wave of 007s walking through the door. I've never seen the parody, but I understand that it's a major gimmick in the film attributed to Hecht's unused script.

 

It was meant to be a straight adaptation. Duns read four drafts of the script and presented an analysis in his article "Rogue Royale," which was reprinted in Duns on Bond.

 

The ending to the last draft has Vesper taking cyanide. Bond finds her before she dies, and she tells him about her betrayal (rather than leaving a letter). Although Bond is clearly affected by her death, the script ends with him recovering from his injuries and sleeping with another woman.

 

(In other words, it ends like an EON film!)

 

The code name gimmick came about because Feldman wasn't sure if they could get Connery, so dialogue in one of the drafts implies that Hecht's James Bond is a different person using the same name. I don't recall anything about multiple 007s appearing -- that sounds too silly for what Hecht had in mind.

 

The spoof version produced by Feldman in 1967 went through many other writers. It bears almost no resemblance to Hecht's work.


Edited by Malmordo - 12/5/17 at 3:10pm
post #16609 of 16967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stockslivevan View Post

I've never seen the parody

I still say you need to rectify this.  It's a bad movie, but a wonderfully bizarre one packed with fascinating choices, and some legitimately good elements (David Niven, the production design, the score and songs).

post #16610 of 16967

That CR spoof is nearly unwatchable.

post #16611 of 16967
I may catch it one day, but I've neve really felt any inclination to. The BTS stuff sounds far more interesting than the actual movie. I'm very intrigued that Peter Sellers was truly sincere in wanting to actually play Bond seriously and not make it a gag, that he genuinely thought he could play Bond dramatically and intentionally avoided playing to any comedic bits.
post #16612 of 16967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stockslivevan View Post

I may catch it one day, but I've neve really felt any inclination to. The BTS stuff sounds far more interesting than the actual movie. I'm very intrigued that Peter Sellers was truly sincere in wanting to actually play Bond seriously and not make it a gag, that he genuinely thought he could play Bond dramatically and intentionally avoided playing to any comedic bits.

For the 10 minutes or so that they're actually adapting the card game plot, Sellers is actually fine playing it straight(ish).

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post
 

That CR spoof is nearly unwatchable.

It's worth seeing at least once!  For the audacity of the strangeness alone.

post #16613 of 16967

If you're going to watch it (God help you), supplement your viewing with this:

 

post #16614 of 16967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belloq87 View Post
 

For the 10 minutes or so that they're actually adapting the card game plot, Sellers is actually fine playing it straight(ish).

 

It's worth seeing at least once!  For the audacity of the strangeness alone.

 

And "The Look of Love"!

post #16615 of 16967
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
 

 

And "The Look of Love"!


Such a terrific song!  Stands toe-to-toe with the "official" Bond songs.  It's SUPER '60s, but in a very classy way.

post #16616 of 16967

 I found the ending of the 60's Casino Royale on youtube. It was what a Mel Brooks movie would be like if he had no talent.

 

Back to Dr No, Bond trying to get under Dr No's skin during the dinner scene is one of my favorites from the franchise.

post #16617 of 16967
I've always loved how he includes Quarrel in his desire for revenge to Dr No..
post #16618 of 16967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stockslivevan View Post


Just imagine if they had picked a different film, it would have resulted in a very different formula for Bond films from the start. The very reason we have a Q is because they picked DR. NO first, which is the only time Boothroyd appeared in the novels at the time.

I've always been curious of how a CASINO ROYALE by EON as the first Bond film with Sean Connery would have turned out, and how it would have shaped the rest of the series. Would they have actually gone through with the ending or change it with Bond relaxing with Vesper, like how all other Bond films end.

Then there's the rest of the novels going in book order and how all that would have shaped the film series as a whole. I don't know if MOONRAKER would've become the blockbuster that GOLDFINGER was.

 

Going in chronological order would have meant Live and Let Die would have been the second film, with an African American as the first Super Villain (the novel paints Mr Big as the ultimate menace and no one, not Bloefeld, not Goldfinger, matched him in terms of resume and being a crimminal mastermind not a nutjob).

 

A Moonraker made in the mid 60's would have been quite interesting...I could see Christopher Lee as a Hugo Drax closer to the novel's conception. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malmordo View Post
 

 

 

The code name gimmick came about because Feldman wasn't sure if they could get Connery, so dialogue in one of the drafts implies that Hecht's James Bond is a different person using the same name. I don't recall anything about multiple 007s appearing -- that sounds too silly for what Hecht had in mind.

 

 


Amusing that the current Fanboy theory that James Bond 007 is a code name used by many men was first proposed in the 67 Casino Royale (with Woody Allen as "Jimmy Bond!")

post #16619 of 16967
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhp1608 View Post
 

Speaking of sets, I love the intelligence that shone though Adams' work. Something as simple as the contrast in Thunderball between the 00s briefing room and the SPECTRE conference room that colours the thematic conflict postulated between the apparent old fashioned virtues of British state institutions and the clinical brutality of the international criminal corporation. 

 

 

 

 

Also compare the quiet collegialism of the MI6 folks with the members of SPECTRE:

 

 

LOL "Absolute Integrity"

post #16620 of 16967
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhp1608 View Post

Speaking of sets, I love the intelligence that shone though Adams' work. Something as simple as the contrast in Thunderball between the 00s briefing room and the SPECTRE conference room that colours the thematic conflict postulated between the apparent old fashioned virtues of British state institutions and the clinical brutality of the international criminal corporation. 







Aleays really loved the “meeting of the 00’s” scene.
post #16621 of 16967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon Baby View Post

Also compare the quiet collegialism of the MI6 folks with the members of SPECTRE:




LOL "Absolute Integrity"

Oh for sure. All very deliberate and a fascinatingly persistent perspective on the innate characteristics of noble paternalistic nationalism and insidious international capitalism, burnished now by age.
post #16622 of 16967

"Sean Connery on the set of Dr. No"

 

 

post #16623 of 16967

 

Good stuff.

post #16624 of 16967

A few James Bond script pages from Roald Dahl

 
"I've always been a fan of Roald Dahl (then again, who hasn't) ... but I never knew he'd written the screenplay for "You Only Live Twice" (1967), the fifth in the James Bond series. 
 
I've come across some script pages - must share!
 
The pages are from an auction, publicized in 2008, where Roald Dahl's annotated script was going for 25'000 to 35'000 buckos. What's worth mentioning is that the script apparently had 240 pages (wowsa) with revisions. It was dated 17 June, 1966. Well, the script now probably belongs to some ridiculously rich Bond nut and/or Dahl fan ... But heck, at least we get to look at a few pages right out of movie history - enjoy!"
 
post #16625 of 16967
Question for he Bond affectionados out there: what are the best looking Bond films on blu-ray? I own Dr. No and was always livid with its presentation.
post #16626 of 16967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnotaur3 View Post

Question for he Bond affectionados out there: what are the best looking Bond films on blu-ray? I own Dr. No and was always livid with its presentation.

All the films from DR. NO to LIVE AND LET DIE had a 4K restoration from the original negatives, so they're the strongest of the set. The rest being of newer and better quality probably didn't need them but look just as impressive after being cleaned up. However, there were a few outliers.

Weakest blus:

FOR YOUR EYES ONLY, OCTOPUSSY, A VIEW TO A KILL are pretty drab looking likely due to the film stock of its time and the mediocre cinematographer Alan Hume (who also shot JEDI). They're probably about as good as they'll ever look on blu.

GOLDENEYE's blu used an older transfer with DNR, because the restoration that was done by Lowry was botched. Pretty disappointing given that they did a much better job on the other Bond films.

TOMORROW NEVER DIES, and THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH are pretty soft and drab, likely due to just being a product of 90s sensibilities. Like the 80s films, about as good as they'll look.
post #16627 of 16967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post

A few James Bond script pages from Roald Dahl

 
"I've always been a fan of Roald Dahl (then again, who hasn't) ... but I never knew he'd written the screenplay for "You Only Live Twice" (1967), the fifth in the James Bond series. 
 
I've come across some script pages - must share!
 
The pages are from an auction, publicized in 2008, where Roald Dahl's annotated script was going for 25'000 to 35'000 buckos. What's worth mentioning is that the script apparently had 240 pages (wowsa) with revisions. It was dated 17 June, 1966. Well, the script now probably belongs to some ridiculously rich Bond nut and/or Dahl fan ... But heck, at least we get to look at a few pages right out of movie history - enjoy!"
 
http://www.danielmartineckhart.com/2012/05/few-james-bond-script-pages-from-roald.html#!/2012/05/few-james-bond-script-pages-from-roald.html

Cool stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnotaur3 View Post

Question for he Bond affectionados out there: what are the best looking Bond films on blu-ray? I own Dr. No and was always livid with its presentation.

Skyfall is gorgeous, to me the best. But if you mean the older ones, From Russia With Love is high up on the list.
post #16628 of 16967

SKYFALL is stunning on blu ray.  Really, really lovely.  Actually, all of the Craig era Bond films look pretty fantastic, in my opinion.

post #16629 of 16967
It's a given that the Craig films look great on blu, having blu-ray transfers that were freshly made right after theatrical release. QUANTUM even looks great, so long as you hit pause or slow mo to be able to appreciate the photography. It's insane that there are so many great shots that only exist for half a second.
post #16630 of 16967

Yeah, I wanted to avoid stepping on the third rail that is QOS, but yeah...for me, that's the best looking of the Craig Bond films.  I love the grittiness and the detail in it.

post #16631 of 16967

I forgot to mention, drinking my morning coffee and browsing movie channel schedules, I saw EPIX will be running all the Bond films in chronological order- yes, even including NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN-  Christmas Eve and Christmas day!

post #16632 of 16967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnotaur3 View Post

Question for he Bond affectionados out there: what are the best looking Bond films on blu-ray? I own Dr. No and was always livid with its presentation.


For me, ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE absolutely floored me away when I saw the Blu-ray.  The transfer is excellent, while the inherent cinematography has always been among my favorites of the entire franchise.  It's just a terrific looking movie (a wonderful late '60s vibe coupled with stunning location photography), and the Blu really delivers.

 

For the newer films, which one would expect to look great, SKYFALL is the obvious answer.

post #16633 of 16967

I was stunned by QOS on Blu. I saw the film three times in three different cinemas, and it never looked that good.

post #16634 of 16967
Strangely, that's the one Bond that I saw at theater three times as well. At three different places too.

Are you me? Are we us?
post #16635 of 16967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraid uh noman View Post

Strangely, that's the one Bond that I saw at theater three times as well. At three different places too.

Are you me? Are we us?

 

We're definitely in the minority.

post #16636 of 16967
QOS is the only Bond movie I saw three times but not for reasons that compliment it.
post #16637 of 16967
I can’t even imagine seeing a movie I dislike three times in the cinema.
post #16638 of 16967
*looks left*
*looks right*

I.......did like it.

*slinks away*
post #16639 of 16967
I saw QoS three times in the cinema. It was one of those movie that I didn't want to believe was shitty.

I own the DVD!
post #16640 of 16967
I liked QoS. Still like it. Last movie that I did that second "I couldn't have really hated that....I must've just been in a bad mood" viewings was Matrix Reloaded. That's the one that snuffed out every last tiny glowing ember of whatever it is in us that makes us talk ourselves into "liking" something that really did suck..
post #16641 of 16967
Commencing my traditional Christmas Bond movie marathon. Decided not to go chronologically but instead watch the ones I want to watch. Going by pure watchability and emotonal appeal. That way if time runs out I haven't wasted time on those I don't enjoy. I'm also making my choices at the time of watching.

First on deck: Diamonds Are Forever.

Yep. Slightly surprised me too, but I've long secretly placed that among my favourites. It's the script, really. I love the script.
post #16642 of 16967
Diamonds fans unite!

To balance out the rewatch list, for every good one you watch, you have to force yourself to watch Live and Let Die/Man with the Golden Gun back to back. How can you be sure you didn't miss any subtle nuances in them before?
post #16643 of 16967
Nuance is for tombstones, baby.

I kind of like LALD. Golden Gun stinks, though. Mean spirited and cheap, and a waste of a great premise and potential villain.
post #16644 of 16967

 I know QOS has more than its share of flaws but I don't think its a bad movie.  I love the scene of Bond figuring out who is a member of Quantum during the opera scene. The main problem with it is that the action scenes are horribly edited. 

post #16645 of 16967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
 

 I know QOS has more than its share of flaws but I don't think its a bad movie.  I love the scene of Bond figuring out who is a member of Quantum during the opera scene. The main problem with it is that the action scenes are horribly edited. 


I agree with all of this, though I'll add that its secondary problem is its absolute nothing of a villain (and villainous plot).  I think if you bring back Stuart Baird to edit, and actually give Mathieu Amalric something worthwhile to play, QOS would have a much better reputation.

post #16646 of 16967

Listening to the "James Bonding" podcast again--and the film for the next podcast is Diamonds Are Forever. Which I just watched a month or so ago. So I watched it again last night/this morning. Man, it is really bad. Jill St. John may be one of the worst Bond girls ever, and Connery looks better in NSNA than he does here. But I can't look away when it's on. And considering in the film timeline, this is right after his wife was killed and he finally killed (or he thought he killed) Blofeld, the joke by Moneypenny about "bring me a diamond ring back" was kind of in poor taste.

 

I needed some Moore to cleanse the pallet so I'm watching "Spy Who Loved Me" right now.

post #16647 of 16967
I love DAF. It's so sleazy and fun.
post #16648 of 16967
QOS> Spectre>Skyfall
post #16649 of 16967
I feel that way too.

CR would come second behind SF.
post #16650 of 16967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Call Me Roy View Post

QOS> Spectre>Skyfall

 

You have my sword.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Franchises
CHUD.com Community › Forums › SPECIFIC FILMS › The Franchises › The Best of BOND; Let's get this over with