or Connect
CHUD.com Community › Forums › SPECIFIC FILMS › Films in Release or On Video › Chronicles of Riddick
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Chronicles of Riddick

post #1 of 33
Thread Starter 
I watch at least part of this on HBO every other day when flipping the channels, and it's not getting old. I liked it in theaters and bought the DVD, but it wasn't something I kept going back to.

Now that I keep seeing it, I'm starting to love it.
post #2 of 33
Thread Starter 
I got this used for $4 at Blockbuster, and a $4 investment doesn't require the love that buying it new would have.
post #3 of 33
It gets better every time I watch it. I just got the trilogy pack (which doesn't have the fantastic DTS on Pitch Black, so stay away) and the anime is also pretty good too (done by Peter Cheung, who did the animated Aeon Flux, which I am also a big fan of).

I know someone is going to come in here and tell me I have bad taste. So call them all a guilty pleasure then, if you must.

Too bad the whole franchise bombed, because Twohy wanted to do a lot more.
post #4 of 33
I like it quite a bit.

But some of the design details piss me off. Like Karl Urban's hair.
It's not that hard to come up with something that would've looked better and been less distracting. Some of the costumes look pretty cheap as well.

Still a good flick though.
post #5 of 33
I really like this movie, too. I think that it has some pretty intense visuals, and some really interesting worlds.

Plus, Thandy Newton looks amazing in that dress. guh
post #6 of 33
didn't you guys have a problem with the shift in genre in the franchise? i kinda liked "pitch black" as a little horror movie with a john carpenter / walter hill vibe going thru the characters. "chronicles..." felt like it was trying to be some kinda epic fantasy flick borrowing quite a bit from conan for riddick's character arc. it was ok & all, but i would've prefered it if twohy decided to extrapolate from the first movie instead of changing course so radically.
never got round to catching the anime - i'm a fan of cheung's work generally (except for his dodgy animatrix entry), so i'll probably check it out at some point.
post #7 of 33
Thread Starter 
Considering that Pitch Black wasn't a part of the planned trilogy, and Twohy talked a lot about how Riddick wasn't going ot be anything like Pitch Black, I don't knwo why it would bother me.
post #8 of 33
cool cool.
i guess i just presumed it was part of the choricles as many of the characters appear in the two movies (do any of the characters feature in the anime too?) & it was marketed/packaged as such fairly recently for a dvd box set.
post #9 of 33
Thread Starter 
That box set was only done after the fact. They renamed it The Chronicles of Riddick: Pitch Black to tie it to the new movie.
post #10 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtP
cool cool.
i guess i just presumed it was part of the choricles as many of the characters appear in the two movies (do any of the characters feature in the anime too?) & it was marketed/packaged as such fairly recently for a dvd box set.
The other two survivors from Pitch Black are in the anime and "Tombs" shows up (who is in Chronicles), all the films are loosely connected in the trilogy. Pitch Black is clearly the best in the series and is more of a stand-alone, except that it's ending is the beginning of the anime.

I did get the Conan vibe, but it didn't bother me. I like Twohy's Riddick universe.
post #11 of 33
I like when sequels are a bit different from the original films. Problem with Riddick is the extra cheese squeezed into the second film.
post #12 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Kinski
I like when sequels are a bit different from the original films. Problem with Riddick is the extra cheese squeezed into the second film.
I'm gonna need some extra cheese on my Whopper! I like the cheese.
post #13 of 33
Loved 'Pitch Black', 'Chronicles' and the anime...all that plus 'Escape from Butcher Bay' is mounting up to a hefty mythos. Though I'd enjoy more films (and I agree, the Conan-vibe is apparent), I can't see them happening. I think anime or gaming is the way to complete Riddick's 'arc', should enough people want it...
post #14 of 33
"escape from butcher bay" was an excellent game (movie tie-in, or otherwise). in fact, i actually enjoyed it a lot more than "chronicles...", maybe cuz it felt more in keeping with the tone of "pitch black".
post #15 of 33
Chronicles would have been a far better film if they replaced Thandie Newton with a more competent actress. She was dreadful in the movie, and really dragged the movie down.

Overall I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the movie. The cool ending definetly made up for a lot of the short comings of the movie.
Its too bad we won't get a sequel.
post #16 of 33
Riddick has a lot of faults, but being an entertaining, enjoyable action movie isn't one of them. I really dug the new universe Twhoy created, and as a first chapter into a bigger story, the film was great. But since the film did a big belly flop at the box office, it's going to be hard for it to stand on its own, and the recent marketing of Pitch Black, the anime and Riddick as the complete trilogy smells like Universal has washed their hands of the franchise. It's a shame, because I really wanted to know what happened next.
post #17 of 33
I've recently tried watching this on HBO, it's a good looking movie, the set-pieces are decent, but the minute anyone opens their mouth it goes south.

I'll hazard a flaming and call it Krull 2004.
post #18 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny
I've recently tried watching this on HBO, it's a good looking movie, the set-pieces are decent, but the minute anyone opens their mouth it goes south.

I'll hazard a flaming and call it Krull 2004.
Hey man, Krull is awesome too.
post #19 of 33
Riddick is void of the Krull comparisons because it manages the basic task of having a charismatic lead.
post #20 of 33
I respectfully disagree, as Diesel is one of my problems w/ the film, along w/ Petrol.
post #21 of 33
Does anyone have a clip of the Director's Cut Crematoria "one step one kill" scene?
post #22 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny
I've recently tried watching this on HBO, it's a good looking movie, the set-pieces are decent, but the minute anyone opens their mouth it goes south.

I'll hazard a flaming and call it Krull 2004.
Agreed. I really enjoyed it on first viewing. However upon the second watch I didn't think it worked as well (especially when they went to Crematoria). Then when I watched the directors cut I was literally pissed off. It just didn't work and in fact was worse than the theatrical release (I usually always like the extended cuts better Aliens excluded).

Have to agree about Thandie Newton as well. She just goes too over the top. They needed a more sexy, mysterious and serious actress to play that role and not ham it up. I'm thinking more along the lines of Monica Belluci in Brotherhood of the Wolf.
post #23 of 33
Thread Starter 
The Thandie Newton and Karl Urban thing is one of the only things I dislike about the movie, but that's because, like you said, Newton goes way over the top and Urban spends the whole movie looking insanely pissed off. They are way too theatrical in this.
post #24 of 33
The first one worked because the cast was pretty good. The blonde girl, and the junkie Bounty hunter were both excellent. Vin didn't need to carry the film, as those actors were given a fair amount of screen time. But with the second, it was mainly Vin, and that hurt. Asides from the main Antagonist, the cast in the second was not much fun to watch. Even the girl Vin frees from prison was an annoying biatch. Its just a shame, because it just feels like this movie could have been so much better. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20.
post #25 of 33
Time to chime in while the thread's still fresh.

In retrospect the director's cut is not as good as the theatrical version. Making the movie less about Riddick and more about everything else is a bad move, this is The Chronicles of Riddick after all. Cranking it out and not even getting the editor back to work on it is another issue. The only other extended dvd I can think of that used digital frame recreation is mallrats x, but that included the theatrical version so I don't really care (although my copy was defective thanks to dvd18, but that's another story). Are there any other cases where the frame recreation has been used on an extended dvd?

Seeing that IGNEON SYSTEM PLANET CREMATORIA title card twice is ugly. Judy Dench's explanation of the prophecy and that cut to Riddick on Crematoria during said explanation is better than the long-distance communication between Urban and Newton. The Purifier's revelation to Riddick is better without the hand thing and by extension without the Shira element. So you can only say the f word once in a pg-13 movie, so what? Of all the changes it's probably the new ending I like the least. With the theatrical version, you still had both pitch black and chronicles beginning and ending with fade ins/outs of visual effects shots, a nice stylistic twohy continuity. You also had Judi Dench's narration opening and closing chronicles. The director's cut gets rid of both just so Riddick can say "you keep what you kill" instead of Vaako.

Aside from all that, I like what I see. A new scifi epic is always welcome, and it's been a while since I've seen Krull if I even saw the whole movie. The Dune/Conan comparison that people expressed here on the boards seems very appropriate. Diesel and Twohy's idea of having Pitch Black being The Hobbit to COR's Lord of the Rings is fine by me.

Universal cranking out their riddick properties once again and stamping "trilogy" on them is stupid but it doesn't neccessarily mean they've washed their hands of it. The Jurassic Park boxset also bears that "franchise collection" title. They April fooled about using the money originally planned for riddick 2 and 3 on sequels to King Kong, so who knows.
post #26 of 33
Thread Starter 
I think both versions have their strong points, and I've been able to make a good comparison recently, because HBO shows the theatrical version.

One great advantage to the theatrical is less Urban and Newton. Also, the ending like you say. Also like you say, the director's cut has less of a focus.

But I think the addition of the Furyan stuff is a good thing because it gives Riddick something special about him beyond just being good at killing. The Crematoria fight on the surface is also not chopped all to hell in the longer version.
post #27 of 33
It interesting you guys all seem to prefer the theatrical version over the directors cut. Almost exactly a year ago right here on Chud, there was a Riddick discussion. And at that time the chudsters were all exposing the directors cut to be superior, and siting the theatrical version as one of the reasons it failed.
post #28 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabster
It interesting you guys all seem to prefer the theatrical version over the directors cut. Almost exactly a year ago right here on Chud, there was a Riddick discussion. And at that time the chudsters were all exposing the directors cut to be superior, and siting the theatrical version as one of the reasons it failed.
Well I'm hypocrite so I'm safe.

I agree with Kueller though, I liked the extra bits with Kristin Lehman and of course the extra violence (it's never enough for my sick ass though).
post #29 of 33
Could one of you fellas explain the difference in the two endings, I actually thought the theatrical ending was pretty awesome.
post #30 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabster
It interesting you guys all seem to prefer the theatrical version over the directors cut. Almost exactly a year ago right here on Chud, there was a Riddick discussion. And at that time the chudsters were all exposing the directors cut to be superior, and siting the theatrical version as one of the reasons it failed.
I still stand by liking the director's cut much, much more. I think you guys who prefer the theatrical cut are a bit crazy, actually.
Keep in mind I've only seen the theatrical once, and that was my first viewing. I've watched the other cut maybe 10 times. I guess I'll check it out again sometime though, just for the hell of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabster
Could one of you fellas explain the difference in the two endings, I actually thought the theatrical ending was pretty awesome.
The only thing I remember was some lame unecessary Judi Dench voicover when Vin was sitting in the throne at the very end. There's probably more I'm forgetting.
post #31 of 33
Because Chronicles was such a huge production, I guess I didn't expect the dvd release to be handled the way it was. Smaller pics like Pitch Black lend themselves to a director's cut, but by the time Chronicles rolled around the dvd industry had fallen into that UNRATED DIRECTOR'S CUT trend. I seem to recall the 2004 Dawn of the Dead's UDC being the only dvd release. If they had done that for COR-decently and without the frame jumps-it would all sit better with me. Either that or just put out the theatrical version with a deleted scenes section.

The difference between the two endings is that originally Vaako says "you keep what you kill," a shot of Riddick looking down at them from the throne, Aereon says "now what would be the answer of that?" we see a shot of the kneeling crowd as her ending voice narration starts, a shot of Riddick's face and finally a shot of the energy orb retracting into the conquest icon and the necro ships moving away-fade to black. "This dark army at the feet of a lone outlaw and the fate of the rest of the universe, well, not even I dare to calculate that." The director's cut omits all of that with a simple close up tilt down to Riddick's mouth as he says "you keep what you kill"-cut to black.
post #32 of 33
Doesn't seem to be too different, but the directors cut ending sounds cooler, less overt explaining. The final battle made the movie for me, it was awesome.
post #33 of 33
Does anyone have a clip of the extended Crematoria fight?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Films in Release or On Video
CHUD.com Community › Forums › SPECIFIC FILMS › Films in Release or On Video › Chronicles of Riddick