CHUD.com Community › Forums › SPORTS, GAMES & LEISURE › Sports › Federer vs. Nadal on 1/2 grass, 1/2 clay court
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Federer vs. Nadal on 1/2 grass, 1/2 clay court - Page 6

post #251 of 289
I know. Some amazing shots. It's like his body doesn't realise he's 34.
post #252 of 289

Think Novak had like 6 set points. Crazy. Really hope this one goes five.

post #253 of 289
Hope so. It might depend on who does the fewest number of unforced errors.
post #254 of 289

Not getting that second set lit a fire under Novak. Was in the driver's seat the rest of the way.

post #255 of 289

I watched the first set then had to leave. It was clear it was going to be another war, and Djokovic would probably overcome in the end.

 

I'd love to see Fed win another Slam, but Djokovic is incredible.

post #256 of 289

You gotta wonder if Fed will win another slam, Djoker is just so dominant and Fed ain't getting any younger. Sadly I don't see it.

post #257 of 289

Got to watch Serena lose today. Utterly surreal.

 

Fed-Wawrinka on right now. Fascinating to watch this, because Fed's being prevented from charging the net like he's been able to the past two weeks.

post #258 of 289

Huge second set win for Federer. Hope this one goes the distance.

post #259 of 289
How can Robert Redford be yawning? Wake up, Bob! This is a helluva match.
post #260 of 289

Fed-Djokovic was the same it's been for the past few years, at least in majors: Extraordinary tennis, and Fed usually pulls out a set to get my hopes up, then Novak conquers in the end. Kudos to him, but I'd still like to see Fed eke one more major out.

post #261 of 289

So all this talk about Serena, and Djoker ends up having the better year in the majors.   Roger is showing his quality being this good into his thirties, but he's not the same guy.  Djokovic has a pretty clear path for the next couple of years, at least.  He could easily win more majors after the age of 27 than he did before... which, great as he is, kind of tells you as much about the state of men's tennis as it does how great he is.

post #262 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
 

So all this talk about Serena, and Djoker ends up having the better year in the majors.   Roger is showing his quality being this good into his thirties, but he's not the same guy.  Djokovic has a pretty clear path for the next couple of years, at least.  He could easily win more majors after the age of 27 than he did before... which, great as he is, kind of tells you as much about the state of men's tennis as it does how great he is.

Yeah, the era of the Big Four seems so long ago. Nadal fell over a cliff, Murray has disappeared into a career of quiet competence, Wawrinka is 30. The lineup is so thin that Fed can still be the 2nd best in the world into his late 30s, but ultimately, he's still not close to Djokovic.

post #263 of 289

For all the PED rumors, Rafa has had the most predictable, and historically typical career path.  He's been plagued by injuries, and now that he's nearing 30 he's a shell of what he once was.  (Meanwhile Djokovic chalks up his dominance in his later 20's to giving up gluten.)

post #264 of 289

With Rafa's withdrawal, this is the first time since 2003 that neither Federer or Nadal can play the French Open.  Both due to injury.   Nadal's about to join Fed on the wrong side of 30, and his injury history makes him seem a lot older than that already.

 

So, nine years later, the default CHUD tennis thread is probably all but over.  I guess the new thread should be Djokovic vs.Scrubs on Any Surface.

post #265 of 289

I've got Wawrinka going back to back. Book it!

post #266 of 289

Dammit, Stan. You've made me look a fool.

post #267 of 289

I mean, being right about the Warriors comeback, your draft victory-- you're not infallible, Molt.

post #268 of 289

It's a harsh reality, but one I have to accept.

 

Wanted Wawrinka because he'd give Djokovic a better finals match, at least at this event. Murray is gonna get thrashed.

post #269 of 289

Federer owes Stan a beer.  The guy is like his own personal wall preventing anyone from getting close to 17.

post #270 of 289

Huge win for Stan. Love that he didn't let Novak's mid-match foot massage bother him. Stan straight up dominated from that point.

post #271 of 289

One cool thing about being consumed with anxiety about the demise of my country is I managed to wake up in time to catch the tail end of the Fed-Nadal match. Congratulations, Roger. If it wasn't official before, it has to be now: He's the GOAT.

post #272 of 289

Didn't get to see it.   I respect Federer, but I rarely am able to root for him.  Give me the grinder over the golden boy any day of the week.  The Australian Open has been such a source of disappointment for Nadal.  To think after all this he was one set away from flipping that GOAT discussion on its head... perhaps only temporarily, but still.  I guess it's how it had to be.  At least tennis had one more glimpse at the best rivalry the sport has ever seen.

post #273 of 289

Set my DVR for this. Got up in the morning and made the mistake of keeping the TV on the same channel of the sporting event you want to record. Instantly saw Federer raise his trophy. Oh well, was nice to know it went a strong five sets.

 

Hopefully they'll both face-off again at a GS final this year but I gotta believe Djokovic is gonna come back with a vengeance.

post #274 of 289
I was spoiled by a news alert, as I was watching the final set 30 minutes late! That will teach me to turn my phone off.

Great match. Some amazing shots from both players but Federer's forehand was incredible.
post #275 of 289

My analysis: Nadal still likes clay.

post #276 of 289

Stan always has a puncher's chance.  Not today.  That was a whoopin'.

 

Mardy Fish tweeted out "Man I'm glad I never had to play Rafa on clay."  Andy Roddick responded with a simple, "I did.  It sucked."

 

For me this puts Rafa beyond Pete.  More Slams, more titles, a better career win percentage, playing in an era with two other top five players all-time.  Yes, it was predominantly on clay, but if a guy had 10 HC slams and 5 grass and clay slams, nobody would call them a one surface wonder.  He played in twelve GS finals outside of clay.  I think you gotta give him his due.

post #277 of 289

Any thoughts on the current McEnroe/Serena controversy?  It sort of feels like much ado about nothing at first blush, but there actually is a little bit to chew on here, I think.

 

Listening to the clip of the interview, it really sounds like McEnroe gets annoyed at the way the question was put to him, as if the interviewer was challenging him, which is, in my estimation, why he says what he says a lot more dickishly than he needed to.  Yeah, he was just stating the truth as he sees it, but there is also merit to the idea that he could have just said it's not a good question and moved on. 

 

I can sort of see both sides.  On the one hand, when you rank the greatest boxers of all time, for example, you typically don't bring in weight classes, because obviously heavyweights would beat guys much lighter.  But at the same time, even in boxing they talk about the "pound for pound" best fighter in the world, so even weight classes are not immune to all measure of qualification.  I'm all for judging athletes by their level of excellence in their chosen competition, rather than some hypothetical competition between different genders, eras, or other things that don't factor into reality; but it's also disingenuous to act as if you're comparing apples to oranges, as Sarah Spain intimated on ESPN when she said it's like asking how Tiger Woods would do against a major league pitcher.

post #278 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post

Any thoughts on the current McEnroe/Serena controversy?  It sort of feels like much ado about nothing at first blush, but there actually is a little bit to chew on here, I think.

Listening to the clip of the interview, it really sounds like McEnroe gets annoyed at the way the question was put to him, as if the interviewer was challenging him, which is, in my estimation, why he says what he says a lot more dickishly than he needed to.  Yeah, he was just stating the truth as he sees it, but there is also merit to the idea that he could have just said it's not a good question and moved on. 

I can sort of see both sides.  On the one hand, when you rank the greatest boxers of all time, for example, you typically don't bring in weight classes, because obviously heavyweights would beat guys much lighter.  But at the same time, even in boxing they talk about the "pound for pound" best fighter in the world, so even weight classes are not immune to all measure of qualification.  I'm all for judging athletes by their level of excellence in their chosen competition, rather than some hypothetical competition between different genders, eras, or other things that don't factor into reality; but it's also disingenuous to act as if you're comparing apples to oranges, as Sarah Spain intimated on ESPN when she said it's like asking how Tiger Woods would do against a major league pitcher.

I guess it is all in context of whether they should get paid the same but the whole way it played out seems rather silly. The two cherries on top were Serena's reaction "I'm trying to have a baby over here, fuck off and leave me a alone" [paraphrased] and the reaction of the guy who is 700th. I don't remember the exact quote but it was something like "yeah, well I may be 700 in the world but I used to be number 30, and uh, I'm still in pretty good shape you know, and besides, she's pregnant, so, you know, no way she'd beat me."
post #279 of 289

It kinda sucks with the resurgence of Federer and Nadal that this is the one tennis story this year that has lasted in the national consciousness for more than 24 hours.

 

I think ultimately it comes down to the fact that the interviewer was asking McEnroe a sociological question about how we look at men's sports vs. women's sports, but she phrased it in a way that McEnroe took as being purely a sports question.  Both sides could have handled it way better.  But I guess there's no point trying to clear up the controversy when that doesn't get eyes, ears, or clicks.

post #280 of 289

Wimbledon predix?

 

I am not liking Nadal's chances based on his performance the last few days in grass exhibitions.  I just don't think he has it on the surface anymore, whether it's the knees or whatever. 

 

Djokovic is into the final of his warm-up tournament, but I still feel like his slump will continue and he'll flame out before the final.

 

Murray is apparently hurting.

 

So that leaves Federer, who apparently has a tough draw in his quarter, but if he gets through I doubt he'll get much challenge in the semis and finals.

post #281 of 289

Federer should be the favorite, but I'm gonna go with Djokovic ending his slump. It can't last forever.

post #282 of 289

Well this will be a boring final two rounds.  MAYBE Cilic can muster something if he gets to the final.  Maybe.  But it's looking like a cakewalk for Fed right now.  And if so, he deserves it.  He got himself prepared specifically for this season, and like Nadal in the clay season, he is dominating.

post #283 of 289

Friggin' elbow.

post #284 of 289

Also laughing at ESPN tennis people, who assured us there was like a 95% chance all the big four would make it through to the semis.  They're such prisoners of the moment on ESPN, it's ridiculous.

 

ETA- By also laughing, I don't mean to make light of Djoker's injury.  That really sucks.  Just laughing because this could've been an epic Wimbledon, but it's not.

post #285 of 289

I haven't kept up with Wimbledon like I have in years past, but I see that Tomas Berdych made the semis, which gives me an excuse to post a pic of his wife Ester Satorova:

 

 

HOORAY!

post #286 of 289

So it'll be hard to feel too badly for him when he gets trounced Friday.

post #287 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post

So that leaves Federer, who apparently has a tough draw in his quarter, but if he gets through I doubt he'll get much challenge in the semis and finals.

 

You called it, Bailey. Total dominance from Federer.

post #288 of 289

Still, going into this it seemed like there was a chance, because of his age, that someone could just rise up and beat him on any given day.   But during the tournament it never felt like that.  It just felt like he was back to his old dominant self... even better in some respects. 

 

He hasn't won the US Open in almost a decade, and 20 is a nice round number.  But to think someone could win three slams in one year at 35 is nuts.

post #289 of 289

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sports
CHUD.com Community › Forums › SPORTS, GAMES & LEISURE › Sports › Federer vs. Nadal on 1/2 grass, 1/2 clay court