Maybe I just missed it, or maybe I just blocked it out of my head, but I definitely didn’t catch last year’s rumors that Will Smith was teaming up with M. Night Shyamalan for a science fiction epic. Apparently they happened though, and they’ve turned out to be true– today’s official press release from Columbia Pictures confirms the team-up, which will include Smith’s son Jaden.

Formerly titled One Thousand A.E. but now listed as Untitled Science-Fiction Adventure (oh shit, has the working title become the twist? Sorry ’bout that guys…), the film will join Shyamalan with Book of Eli screenwriter Gary Whitta to tell the story of a “young boy [who] navigates an abandoned and sometimes scary Earth to save himself and his estranged father after their ship crashes.”

Stellar logline, that.

If that’s not worth a chuckle, check this shit out…

Commenting on the announcement, [Columbia President Doug] Belgrad said, “Night is an outstanding filmmaker who has a tremendous vision for this science-fiction adventure story and we couldn’t be more excited to be working again with Jaden after our experiences on The Pursuit of Happyness and The Karate Kid. We’re thrilled to have the two of them together on this project.”

One may wonder how the fuck Shyamalan has managed another project with a budget to produce anything resembling “epic,” but despite sending even the youngest and least discerning of anime fans crying out of the theater, The Last Airbender still made well over $300 million worldwide, which is not a sad-looking number if you just recieve the check and never had to see the movie or read the message board reactions. Why the typically sharp Will Smith would want to lend his last-remaining-movie-star credibility to this joker, much less drag his son through the mud with him, is anybody’s guess.

Oh, and don’t forget that the “Night Chronicles” are set to continue as well. It’s a bummer- if his last few movies had actually bombed in proportion to the toxic response, then the filmmaker might have had a reason to reexamine his films and what has sent his sensibilities spiraling so deeply into crazytown. What could you possibly think you were doing wrong when your flick makes +$300m and the biggest A-Lister around still wants to work with you though?

Granted, Whitta crafted something interesting (if not transcendentally great) with the script to Book of Eli, so maybe his talent will shine through Shyamalan’s batshit insanity and magic will happen. Or maybe I’ll just die before I have to see this. One of those magical things could happen.

(via Collider)

DISCUSS THIS on the CHUD Message Board
&
Like / Share it on Facebook (above or below) if you think it’s great!